Feeding the growth
Aquaculture is the fastest-growing global production sector and is one of the most eco-efficient forms of protein production. It is also a significant driver of economic growth, with 10–12% of the world’s population relying on the fisheries and aquaculture sectors for their livelihoods.
Today, approximately 60% of salmon produced worldwide is farmed, and 50% of the seafood is farmed (as opposed to wild-caught), and this is projected to reach 62% by 2030.
The oceans cover more than 70% of our planet, which means that if aquaculture is performed correctly, the oceans can offer a significant contribution to sustainable food systems.
Relying on innovation and new platforms enable sustainable growth for Aquaculture to feed the future.
“Algae has the potential to answer multiple challenges modern salmon farmers face and the access to omega-3 is the first one.”
– Jørgen Skeide, Project Leader, Lerøy
The key to healthy fish
Despite being exciting, aquaculture is a complex and multifaceted industry. Several different production risk factors can impact success. Mitigating the risk factors and focusing on producing a healthy fish for optimal harvest weight.
Feed is a key component in determining harvest weight success. It represents around half of the industry production cost and directly impacts animal health and product quality. Ensuring the correct balance of Omega-3 in diets, especially at critical times of growth and development, is at the heart of this challenge.
With that knowledge in mind, we ask ourselves this question: How can we help advance harvest weight with farmers?
The answer is innovation. As aquaculture businesses, we are devoted to continually seeking new ways of thinking about processes and products to stay ahead of the curve.
AlgaPrime™ DHA is the world’s leading source of algae Omega-3, sustainable, affordable and , at scale. It is a sustainable alternative to fish oil, supporting healthy diets and reducing pressure on marine resources without impacting the carbon footprint. With AlgaPrime™ DHA we help maintain or raise the Omega-3s level for healthy diets, reducing the dependency on fish oil in feed, while preserving the environment.
Sustainable, affordable, and at scale
- Health Efficient - Higher levels of Omega-3s in feed support salmon health and robustness. AlgaPrime™ DHA contributes to better utilization of certain nutrients (i.e., Zinc), improved organ health (Intestines), robust skin intestines and gills, better anti-inflammatory response, better resistance to handling, better CMS and HSMI disease resistance (with minor heart damage) and better growth.
- Affordable – We continue to develop new strains with higher omega-3 content and increase production efficiency in our commitment to deliver innovation that works for large-scale businesses in Aquaculture.
- At Scale – In our efforts to help farmers meet the challenges of today and tomorrow, we designed our production sites with ample capacity to facilitate rapid growth for the next decade, with programs for de-bottlenecking and process optimization to improve output.
- Reliable - AlgaPrime™ DHA provides supply chain resilience, reducing complexity with on-demand production without the constraints of geography, seasonality, and changing climate conditions.
- Consistent - Produced via fermentation, AlgaPrime™ DHA provides a standardized, high-quality, and abundant source of Omega-3 fatty acids.
Enabling sustainable growth
- Sustainable - AlgaPrime™ DHA is sustainably produced using renewable energy and cane sugar as a feedstock. This results in low carbon, water, and land use impact.
- Clean - AlgaPrime™ DHA microalgae are grown in closed fermentation tanks and do not contain the persistent organic pollutants that naturally accumulate in fish oil.
- Nutritious - Higher levels of Omega-3s in feed can provide essential nutrition for consumers with better pigmentation and more excellent omega-3s retention in the filet.
Click here for more information.